Another quick video, this time playing with displacement on an archival image of Chicago, plucked from the Flickr Creative Commons. The setup for animating the displacement is a bit finickity, but I like the overall ability to dive into a spatialised version of an image.
I recorded the audio pretty quickly too, a five minute recording session and about fifteen minutes to edit. The rendering of these things still takes quite a while, though – this one took 16 hours to render at 4k resolution. I’m sure there are some variables I can edit to make this better, but for now, I set these things up quickly and wait to see what they look like slowly.
This is a set of quick sketches in Blender. I’m intrigued by the ability to project images and film onto surfaces, which is especially interesting if the original movie contains movement.
I started with a video that I took from an L train in Chicago a few years ago. A simple shot, not much happens, but there’s some parallax movement, and a tiny bit of camera shake:
I then projected this onto a surface, so that the video moves at the same speed it was moving in real life. The camera effectively mimics what my real-world camera did. Then I projected the textures of this video onto a load of randomly placed cubes and circles. The camera moves, and the projected video moves, but the objects remain in place; the effect is that there is weird video displacement in unexpected places.
Here are various results:
Note that videos are mostly square for Instagram.
Here’s what the setup looked like behind-the-scenes:
It’s been a while since I posted any of my quick video experiments. This month I’ve been learning a load of new techniques in Blender, which is just incredible software.
First up, here’s a video of the shot I seemingly always use to test new video editing techniques. Over the 15 seconds, the video transforms from a 2d screen to a weird 3d shape, thanks to displacement based on the colours in the video. The virtual camera looking at the screen moves too.
Note that the looping isn’t perfect, this was just a quick experiment to play around with this technique.